Wednesday, January 20, 2010

pissing in a river



Nick Hornby describes "Pissing in a River" by Patti Smith as one of  the 31 songs that have provided a soundtrack to his life.

I have to agree. I first heard this song from the scene above in "All Over Me" starring Allison Folland & Tara Subkoff- way before Imitation of Christ. This film is sort of a riot grrrl- era, gritty, coming- of- age story set in New York's Hell's Kitchen, released in 1997. This film was huge for me....so real, honest, heartbreaking and so late-90's. This is probably the most memorable film for me during that time period- in the likes of Welcome to the Dollhouse and Foxfire.  When I first saw it, I had just graduated high school and was in my first year of college- falling in and out of love and highly emotional. I spent a lot of time laying in bed, staring up at the ceiling, listening to this song. I kinda miss those days...

(other than a largely unknown at the time Tara Subkoff, look for Wilson Cruz- of My So-Called LIfe, Leisha Hailey of the Murmors- The L Word- and those Yoplait commercials,  and Mary Timony from Helium)

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I love this post and Patti Smith - am going to track down Foxfire and All Over Me - thanks for the tip!
x

lisa butterworth said...

how have i not heard of this movie?? this is so going in my netflix queue immediately.

Related Posts with Thumbnails